Sat, May 15|
Movement Analysis and Retraining of the Dancer Part 2
May 15th and 22nd, 1-4pm
Time & Location
May 15, 2021, 1:00 PM – 4:00 PM
About the Event
Movement Analysis & Retraining of the Dancer
A collaborative workshop presented by Andrea Zujko (Dance Medicine Education Initiative) & Marimba Gold-Watts (Articulating Body Inc.)
Welcome everyone! Thank you for joining us on our inaugural collaborative continuing education course- Movement Analysis & Retraining of the Dancer. Marimba and I are looking forward to sharing our insights as to how you can utilize creative Pilates repertoire to address postural faults, muscular weakness, joint and myofascial restriction and impaired movement control.
A dancer’s posture and alignment can be considered as an end result of the way their body has been trained (aka used) over a prolonged period of time. Postural alignment faults may produce or reinforce movement dysfunction which, in turn, may drive compensations that can lead to tissue failure. Movement dysfunction can predispose or be the result of injury and is a key area practitioners address in their work. Use of the Pilates equipment and repertoire can aid the assessment and treatment of postural and movement dysfunctions commonly seen in dancers which can help to mitigate predisposing factors to injury and aid recovery and return to sport.
At the completion of this course, each participant should be able to:
- Define common presentations in dancers that consist of unique clusters of postural faults, muscular weakness, joint and myofascial restriction and impaired movement control patterns.
- Identify how a particular presentation might present in your studio or clinic.
- Understand the links between specific alignment characteristics, common myofascial changes, motor control impairments and risk of biomechanical strain and injury unique to common presentations that may predispose injury or impede recovery.
- Implement targeted exercises to address single and/or multiplanar movement control impairments that drive postural strain, joint and myofascial injury/imbalance.
- Case Presentation 1: The Tucker (Saturday March 13th)
- Case Presentation 2: The Tipper (Saturday March 20th)
- Case Presentation 3: The Unlevel Pelvis: The Hiker & The Sinker (Saturday May 15th)
- Case Presentation 4: What’s Up? Link to the Upper Quadrant (Saturday May 22nd)
Cost: $325 for both workshops/ $195 per single workshop
Location: Course will be held through zoom. All participants will receive access to a recording of each class that will be available to view for 30 days.
Materials: You will receive a link and accompanying workbook prior to the start of each class